There’s a normal reasonable way to do things and then there’s the Nigerian way that comes with extra spice and salt. This guide is the Nigerian way to do a proper marriage proposal. Sit back, learn, and spread this knowledge.
1. It should never be private.
First of all, whatever you do, do not make it private. Why? Because this marriage proposal is between you, your fiancée, and as many Nigerians as possible. Besides if a crowd didn’t witness it then how are you even sure it happened? Where is your proof?
2. Think of the most ridiculous thing to do and then do it.
No idea is too silly, stupid or unnecessary. The sillier the better actually.
3. Recruit a hypeman that will be shouting “say yes, say yes” in the background.
In case your woman forgets that she is meant to say “yes”. And also in case, she gets tempted to say “No” by the sheer stupidity of your gesture.
4. Make sure its an absolute surprise.
This should have been Rule number 1. You need to make absolutely sure that your soon to be fiancée has no idea that you want to ask her to spend the rest of her life with you. Make no attempt to discuss it first with her in the privacy and sanity of your house, just throw it at them in the busiest mall you can find.
5. Recruit another hypeman to make sure everything is captured on video.
You can even hire an entire camera crew. It all depends on your budget, remember this is a production.
6. If you want to be even more creative involve the police.
Traumatize a “yes” out of your prospective fiancée.
Valid example here:
If you enjoyed this guide then you should check this other guide out: A Nigerian Woman’s Guide To Apologizing To Her Man