It’s the weekend, and this means people are looking for places to go to destroy whatever is left of their livers. But not everyone wants to go out. Some people want to get drunk in the comfort of their homes, and that’s fine too. If you are part of this group and are tired of drinking boring-ass plain alcohol, we’ve come up with cocktail recipes you can try with ingredients you most likely already have in your house.
1. Zobo Martini
If you’ve been thinking about what to do with that zobo that has been in your fridge for ages, try making a zobo martini. For this recipe you’ll need half a cup of unsweetened zobo, vodka, lemon juice, sugar, lemon or lime, and sugar syrup. To make a sugar syrup, dissolve sugar in water over low heat and let it cool for a bit.
- Rim your glass: Cut a lime or lemon in half and rub it around the edge of a glass cup, making sure that the rim is coated with the juice. Next, pour some sugar on a plate and roll the edge of the cup around the sugar until it sticks to the rim.
- Put a few cubes of ice in a cocktail shaker (or any cup with a lid, because not everybody randomly keeps a cocktail shaker in their house), pour the zobo, two shots of vodka, two tablespoons of lemon juice and one tablespoon of sugar syrup in the shaker, cover and shake vigorously.
- Pour the liquid into your rimmed cocktail glass. Add a slice of lemon to the cocktail glass.
2. Hot Toddy
Have you ever tried a hot cocktail? If you’re a tea lover and also a lover of alcohol, you’ll love this combination. If you have either brandy, rum or whiskey at home, you can make yourself a Hot Toddy.
- Boil water in a kettle, pour it in a mug and add your preferred tea bag. Leave to brew for 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate cup, add a tablespoon of honey.
- Add your liquor next and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Lastly, add your brewed tea and stir well.
You can add a lemon wedge for garnish, or customise the flavour of your tea to spice things up.
3. Reverse Espresso Martini
Don’t worry, we have something for coffee lovers too. All you need for this is coffee, vodka and Baileys.
- Add a tablespoon of coffee into a mug of boiled water to make a simple quick espresso.
- Freeze the espresso in an ice cube tray.
- Pour the vodka and baileys into a cocktail shaker, shake for about a minute and then strain into a tumbler. filled with ice.
- Put 4-5 coffee ice cubes into the drink to serve.
4. Nigerian Michelada
It’s time to open up your spice closet. This recipe includes beer, lime juice, hot sauce, soy sauce, and black pepper. Yes, you read that right. Aren’t you tired of drinking normal beer? Try something new abeg.
- Fill a beer mug with ice and add a tablespoon of lemon juice, three dashes of hot sauce,three dashes of soy sauce, and a dash of black pepper
- Stir until well mixed.
- Top up with any beer of your choice.
We know you might be tempted to add ata gunun at this point. Please, don’t. Yoruba people, we’re looking at you.
5. Fiery Nsukka Pepper Martini
Before you begin to do your face like we just asked you to try the forbidden fruit, try the cocktail first. For this, you’ll need orange juice , vodka, lemon juice, Nsukka pepper or scotch bonnets and ice cubes.
- Add the orange juice, ice cubes and two pieces of scotch bonnets into a blender. To reduce the heat, you can take out the seeds from the pepper. Blend until the pepper breaks down, almost completely.
- Sieve into a cocktail shaker, add the vodka, lemon juice, extra ice cubes, and shake.
- Pour into a glass, and you’re good to go.
6. Rum, Coke And Champagne
If you’re tired of the regular rum and coke, try adding champagne into the mix. All you have to do is pour rum, coke and champagne into a glass of ice and stir and you’re good to go. If you don’t want to use champagne, you can try sparkling wine.
7. Vodka Cranberry
A Vodka cranberry is easy to make. The ingredients are literally in the name — Vodka and Cranberry (juice). Just mix the two together and you have yourself a simple cocktail. You can add as much alcohol as you want, you’re in your house, no one can beat you.