If you grew up with a Nigerian father, chances are that he may not have said “I love you” very loudly. However, he must have done one of these:
1) By paying school fees.
Thank you, daddy for showing up every term without fail.
2) Allowing you eat meat from his plate.
Ignoring your mum’s side eye while eating that extra meat.
3) Letting you drive his car.
Bonus point if he taught you how to drive.
4) Passing down his stuff.
All the shirts, shoes, and perfumes gave us a head start in life.
5) Allowing you to sit on his lap.
Especially when you were much younger.
6) Carrying you to bed after falling asleep in the parlour.
Good old days. Now, if I fall asleep in the parlor, that’s where I’ll wake up.
7) Letting you stay up way past your bed time.
Even though watching the news was boring.
8) Always bailing you out of trouble.
The realest OG.
9) Allowing you to sip from his “drink” whenever your mum wasn’t looking.
If you know, you know.
10) Teaching you lifesaving skills.
How to change a tyre, how to turn on the generator, how to have integrity, among other things.
Hello, Zikoko fam. Something for men by men is coming to Zikoko.