Campaign Calls For The G7 and EU to Share at Least One Billion COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Immediately with Those Most in Need, Support Calls for an IP Waiver, and for Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna to Share mRNA Technology with Africa
(Lagos, Nigeria | Thursday, 23rd September 2021) – Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Nigeria’s Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed, and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan will join Global Citizen Live on Saturday, 25th September, announced international advocacy organization Global Citizen.
Timed to the UN General Assembly, ahead of the G20 and COP26 Meetings, Global Citizen Live will be a global moment of unity across six continents. Artists, luminaries, dignitaries, and citizens in Lagos, Rio de Janeiro, New York City, Paris, London, Seoul, Los Angeles, Sydney, and more will call on governments, corporations, and philanthropists to make new commitments to defend the planet & defeat poverty, focusing on climate change, vaccine equity, and famine.
While Sanwo-Olu and Ahmed join Global Citizen Live in Lagos, Prince Harry and Meghan will be at the New York City event, as they continue their work with world leaders in pursuit of global vaccine equity. Also appearing as part of the global broadcast event are United Nations Deputy Secretary General, Amina Mohammed World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director of the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr John Nkengasong, and Head of the Africa Vaccine Acquisition Task Team, Strive Masiyiwa.
Performances from Lagos will be given by Tiwa Savage, Davido, Femi Kuti and Made Kuti, while TV personalities Ebuka Obi-Uchendu and Nancy Isime will host the event. Sho Madjozi and Muzi will perform from Johannesburg, Angelique Kidjo from Paris, and Burna Boy from New York. South African TV Personality and Global Citizen Advocate Bonang Matheba and South African Actress, UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador, and Global Citizen Advocate Nomzamo Mbatha to be featured as presenters at the New York City Festival.
Global Citizen Live events will be broadcast across Africa from 25th September 2021 on television, radio, and online:
- In Nigeria the broadcast will be live on Wazobia Max TV, Wazobia TV (dstv 259), Cool Fm and Nigeria Info radio starting on 25th September from 6pm West Africa Time.
- In South Africa, the broadcast will be on Monday 27 September on S3 on SABC starting 10pm South Africa Time.
- Multichoice in Africa, channel, date and time to be announced at a later stage.
Global Citizen Live calls on leaders to deliver by September:
- 1 billion trees planted and preserved to help prevent global temperatures from rising beyond 1.5ºC above pre-industrial levels by curbing emissions and supporting 1t.org.
- Businesses to help curb emissions through joining the Race to Zero and pledging 1 billion additional trees by 2022 in support of the 1t.org ambition to conserve, restore and grow one trillion trees this decade.
- Wealthiest nations to deliver on their promise to give $100 billion annually to address the climate needs of developing countries.
- 1 billion vaccines to the poorest countries.
- The G7 and EU to share at least one billion COVID-19 vaccine doses immediately with those most in need, support the proposal to waive IP around the production of COVID-19 vaccines and other medical tools — backed by over 100 countries — and for Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna to share mRNA technology with the new WHO-backed mRNA technology transfer hub based in South Africa.
- Meals for the 41 million people on the brink of famine
- The G7 and the world’s billionaires to end the hunger crisis by contributing at least $6 billion for the urgent provision of millions of meals for the 41 Million People on the brink of starvation.
Global Citizen Live is supported by a corporate coalition, including Access Bank in Nigeria, alongside global partners Accenture, Cisco, Citi, The Coca-Cola Company, Delta Air Lines, Google, Live Nation, P&G, Salesforce, Verizon, and campaign partners Hilton, WW International, and World Wide Technology who will engage support from the private sector in driving new commitments toward the campaign’s policy objectives.
Global Citizen Live has received in-kind support from leading media companies, including AIM Group, BellaNaija, Branded Cities, Brut Media, Captivate, Clear Channel Outdoor, Curb Media, Forbes, GSTV, iHeartRadio, Interstate Outdoor, JCDecaux, Arise TV, Newscentral TV, Outfront Media, Six Flags Theme Parks, The New York Times, Vanguard Media, Big Cabal Media, Cool FM, Nigeria Info, Wazobia FM, and Wazobia Max TV.
To learn more about the Global Citizen Live events on September 25 and to view health & safety information, please go to GlobalCitizenLive.org. *All Global Citizen Live events comply with, and often exceed, the latest COVID-19 protocols.
For more information about Global Citizen Live, visit www.gclivelagos.org, and follow @GlblCtznAfrica on Facebook and Twitter and @glblctzn on Instagram, Tik Tok, Twitter, and YouTube.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Performances from across the world include:
- LAGOS with Femi Kuti, Davido, Tiwa Savage, and Made Kuti
- NEW YORK CITY in Central Park (presented by Citi and Cisco) with Coldplay, Billie Eilish, Camila Cabello, Jennifer Lopez, Lizzo, Meek Mill, Shawn Mendes, and special guest performances by Alessia Cara, Burna Boy, Cyndi Lauper, Jon Batiste, and Lang Lang
- PARIS at Champ de Mars with Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Black Eyed Peas, Christine and the Queens, Doja Cat, Måneskin, and special guest performances by Angélique Kidjo, Charlie Puth, and Fatma Said.
- LOS ANGELES at The Greek Theatre (presented by Verizon) with Stevie Wonder, Adam Lambert, Chloe x Halle, Demi Lovato, H.E.R., Migos, ONEREPUBLIC, Ozuna, The Lumineers, and 5 Seconds of Summer
- LONDON with Duran Duran, Kylie Minogue, Nile Rodgers and Chic, and Rag’n’Bone Man
- RIO DE JANEIRO with Alok, Mart’nália, Criolo, Liniker, with special guests Tropkillaz, and
Mosquito, in partnership with Rock In Rio
- SYDNEY with Delta Goodrem
- MUMBAI, hosted by Anil Kapoor, with Sadhguru, Amitabh Bachchan, Ayushmann Khurrana, Arjun Kapoor, Ananya Panday, Bhumi Pednekar, Dia Mirza, Farhan Akhtar, Hrithik Roshan, Janhvi Kapoor, KiaraAdvani, Riteish Deshmukh, Sara Ali Khan, Sonakshi Sinhawith.
- Additional broadcast performances from across the world include: Andrea Bocelli from Tuscany, BTS from Seoul, Green Day from Los Angeles, Keith Urban, Ricky Martin from various locations in Las Vegas, Lorde and My Morning Jacket from various locations in New York City, Metallica from Louisville, Sho Madjozi and Muzi from Johannesburg and, in partnership with Sony Music Latin, Camilo from Madrid and Lali from Buenos Aires. Straight from the Amazon Rainforest, the Indigenous Peoples of Brazil represented by Mapu of the Huni Kuin, Aldeia Mutum of the Yawanawas, and Owera (Kunumi MC) of the Guaranis join Alok in premiering a unique collaboration project showcasing indigenous culture.