If there’s one book every Nigerian child read, then it would be My Book of Bible Stories. That book satisfied our need for colourful pictures, as well as our desire to be told a story. It was vividly illustrated, and it’s perhaps safe to say that every child who read it wanted to be inside it. Here’s a reminder of those days. We hope you feel something as you read.
1. The very first picture, accompanied by the story of how God made everything. Do you remember it?
2. And then the beautiful garden of Eden. I still can’t imagine that garden any other way.
3. Adam and Eve! Wiun. See the curls of Eve’s hair sef. 100% pure Brazilian hair. Jenifa Hair is shaking. Let’s not even talk about Adam. The spec of all specs. See the arms. Beard gang even before it was cool.
4. Sha, the serpent deceived them and they were thrown out of the Garden of Eden. See the distress on their faces.
5. Y’all remember Cain and Abel? See hotness. Ahan. Hirsute with that firm back. God of bodies, abeg remember me oh.
6. Noah’s Ark. We are on the lookout for this. 2020 has been a lirru bit wild. Who knows what God is planning?
6. Who remebers Lot’s wife? The story I grew up hearing was that she’s the one we put into our food and that we’d eaten all the head part. I wonder where we’re eating now.
7. Are you as faithful as Job? Because anon did not buy you spaghetti and two meat, you’re already asking “Is my creator asleep?” Smh.
8. M for what? M for Moses! Small trivia: What’s the name of Moses’ sister? Hint: Latifat is a close answer.
9. The 10 plagues. Each time I try to lose hope in 2020, I remember that the Egyptians had it worse. We will survive.
10. Ruth and Naomi. There’s a special name for Ruth, but I won’t mention it. Ask your Yoruba friends to tell you.
11. Samson! Chei. SARS and the Nigeria Police have suddenly gone quiet since this photo was released. Can anybody call their phone numbers, please? We need to see a display of strength.
12. David and Goliath. Here’s what Goliath said: “Choose one of your men to fight me. If he wins and kills me, we will be your slaves. But if I win and kill him, you will be our slaves. I dare you to pick someone to fight me.” Haq. He don’t know!
13. Jezebel serving wicked queen realness. Y’all have no option but to stan. As an aside, I think Jezebel is a really cool name. Too bad it now carries negative connotations.
14. Mary receiving her divine visitation. Alexa play “Logan Ti O De” by Tope Alabi.
15. Jesus is born. Honestly, I feel the urge to sing Christmas songs right now.
This is the final picture in the book. How do you feel right now?
In case you want to read the entire thing or see the complete picture gallery, here’s where to go: My Book of Bible Stories