In 2020, we’ve had an earthquake, a horrifying wildfire, the threat of a third World War, a plane crash, the loss of a legend and his prodigious daughter (RIP Kobe and Gigi) and now, we have to deal with the coronavirus. It’s only been the first month.
What is a Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses refer to viruses that affect the respiratory tract of mammals, including humans. Remember SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)? That was a coronavirus. If you heard about MERS (Middle East Respiratory Disease), that was also a coronavirus.
A coronavirus spreads like a cold virus. It can affect the nose, throat or the upper throat and isn’t always dangerous. But you see this one from China?
What do we know about the Wuhan Coronavirus?
Far as we know, the illness causing the coronavirus in Wuhan is novel i.e we never see this kind thing before.
Like other coronaviruses, it is believed to have come from animals, bats being a likely culprit. Many of those infected either worked or frequently shopped in the Huanan seafood wholesale market in the centre of the Chinese city, which also sold live and newly slaughtered animals.
So far, 80 deaths have been reported in the province where the disease first broke and 100,000 people are possibly infected. The disease is reportedly present in the US, South Korea, Japan and a suspected case may be present in Ivory Coast.
A country which, can I say, is dangerously close to Nigeria.
Symptoms of the coronavirus.
Those who have fallen ill are reported to have experienced:
- Breathing difficulties.
- In severe cases, organ failure
The virus leads to pneumonia and due to the fact that it is viral pneumonia, antibiotics are of no use. Antiviral drugs against the flu are also ineffective.
Recovery from the disease is largely dependent on how strong the immune system is, with many of the deceased already being in poor health.
The disease is believed to be passed on from person to person. However, before you start drafting your will over a cough you developed this morning — if you haven’t been in contact with any person who recently visited China or been in contact with anyone infected with the virus, your cough is probably just that, a cough.
But to make sure your cough stays that way, you should know a few things about preventing the coronavirus.
Here’s how to prevent the coronavirus.
The UN is currently advising people to do the following:
- Frequently wash your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or warm water and soap.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue when sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever or cough.
- Seek early medical help if they have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, and share their travel history with healthcare providers.
- Avoid direct, unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals when visiting live markets in affected areas.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked animal products and exercise care when handling raw meat, milk or animal organs to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods.
Nigeria hasn’t gotten to this stage yet, but should you feel the need to wear a mask to protect yourself, pay attention to this video:
Currently, there is absolutely no cause for alarm in Nigeria over the coronavirus. Be sure to take the necessary precautions, eat healthy to boost your immunity and we’ll be sure to weather this virus out. Here’s to seeing the end of 2020.