Earlier this week, the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and Restitution on Lekki toll gate shooting incident and cases of police brutality released a report confirming that the Nigerian Army and the Police injured, maimed and killed peaceful #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on October 20, 2020.
After the report, we decided to look at some of the conversations peddled by government officials and affiliates and compare them with our discovered truths.
Here’s what we found.
1. Sanwo-Olu Holmes claimed that nobody died during the shooting
2. On an interview, Tinubu questioned the motives of the victimised peaceful protesters
3. Buhari’s speech two days after the incident totally ignored the incident like it didn’t happen
4. Nigeria’s minister of information, Lai Mohammed, called the Lekki toll gate incident a “massacre without bodies”
5. On several occasions, Lai Mohammed also publicly said CNN was irresponsible in its reporting of the incident, and that the live videos were “doctored”
6. A year after the killings, Lai Mohammed called it a “phantom massacre”, denying the deaths of any civilians
7. The Nigerian Army also denied the killings of the End SARS protesters
There’s a PDF file containing the entire report. You can access it here.