1) Do you have debts?
This question helps guide whether to throw a big wedding or pay off debts and have a quiet wedding instead.
2) How are we handling the payment of bills when we get married?
Let’s be guided. Who handles what and what bill. I pay for light and water, you pay for waste and cleaning. That way everyone budgets appropriately.
3) How much money should we spend on vacations?
Are we going to Obudu cattle ranch or Santorini for honeymoon? Babe, talk to me.
4) Are we open to receiving external help from parents?
Let’s say hypothetically, daddy wants to buy us car because the old one is faulty, what’s the protocol for that? Just thinking out loud babe.
5) Do you have an emergency fund?
I know we are covered by “God forbid” and whatnot, but if shit hits the fan, is there a buffer for that?
6) Kids, how many?
Cut your kids according to your pocket size or some shit like that. We need to sit and break down the financial implications of raising one child, two children, three. etc.
7) What’s the policy with helping siblings financially?
If you help siblings, do you expect them to pay back? or is it dash? and am I supposed to chip in?
8) Named brands vs Generic brands?
I am just asking so I can know how we will be planning salary expenditure. So, I can plan accordingly.
9) If we have fertility issues, how much money are you open to spending?
I know it’s not our portion but it’s good to consider this, please.
10) Public school or private schools for our children?
This question is important because it will affect our cash flow in the future so it’s better we plan for it from now.