On May 29, 2023, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, former governor of Lagos State, becomes President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He also assumes the title of Commander-in-Chief of Nigeria’s Armed Forces.
At 10:28 a.m. and 10:38 a.m., Tinubu and his deputy, Kashim Shettima, took the oath of office to serve Nigeria. Nigeria’s Chief Justice, Olukayode Ariwoola, administered the oath of office.
In his inaugural speech, Tinubu expressed his love for the nation and his faith in its people. He emphasises the need to march beyond the challenges and work towards a better society. Tinubu acknowledges the peaceful transition of power and praises his predecessor, President Muhammadu Buhari. He asserts Nigeria’s strength and resilience, declaring Nigeria the “champion of the Black race.”
Citizen watched closely as the 16th President of Nigeria gave his speech. The swearing-in ceremony took place in Eagle Square, Abuja. The new administration spoke about hitting the ground running and improving the country’s state of affairs and economy. Here are ten quotes to highlight for you to pay attention to.
- “Security shall be the top priority of our administration because neither prosperity nor justice can prevail amidst insecurity and violence.”
- “We shall remodel our economy to bring about growth and development through job creation, food security, and an end to extreme poverty.”
- “Our government shall review all their complaints about multiple taxations and various anti-investment inhibitions. We shall ensure that investors and foreign businesses repatriate their hard-earned dividends and profits.”
- “My administration must create meaningful opportunities for our youth. We shall honour our campaign commitment of one million new jobs in the digital economy.”
- “Our government also shall work with the National Assembly to fashion an omnibus Jobs and Prosperity bill. This bill will give our administration the policy space to embark on labour-intensive infrastructural improvements, encourage light industry, and improve social services for the poor, elderly, and vulnerable.”
- “Rural incomes shall be secured by commodity exchange boards guaranteeing minimal prices for certain crops and animal products. A nationwide programme for storage and other facilities to reduce spoilage and waste will be undertaken.”
- “We shall continue the efforts of the Buhari administration on infrastructure. Progress toward national networks of roads, rail, and ports shall get priority attention.”
- “We commend the decision of the outgoing administration in phasing out the petrol subsidy regime, which has increasingly favoured the rich more than the poor. Subsidy can no longer justify its ever-increasing costs in the wake of drying resources. We shall instead re-channel the funds into better investment in public infrastructure, education, healthcare, and jobs that will materially improve the lives of millions.”
- “The Central Bank must work towards a unified exchange rate. This will direct funds away from arbitrage into meaningful investment in the plant, equipment, and jobs that power the real economy.”
- “We shall work with ECOWAS, the AU, and willing partners in the international community to end extant conflicts and to resolve new ones.”
Read also: It Is Finally Jagaban’s Turn
Tinubu tasked citizens of Nigeria to join him in making the country a perfect nation and democracy, where “the Nigerian ideal becomes and forever remains the Nigerian reality.”
To wrap up his speech, Tinubu declared, “My name is Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and I am the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”