Alhaji Abass Akande Obesere has made a comeback to our screens and social spaces and we can not but thank this gem of a man for everything he has done in his career. We stan him, and we made a list of reasons why you should stan him too.
1. He was literally the first man to ever do it.
By “do it,” we mean that he spoke about something everyone else considered a taboo or spoke about in hushed tones. Unlike now where we are gradually bringing an end to the culture of silence, Obsere’s coming out was considered immoral. Yet he was a star. The same people who considered him immoral also bought his tapes and played them in the privacy of their homes.
2. Obesere is a Fuji musician who is married to one wife.
Yes, it is not one big achievement. But given the image Obesere portrays on the screen and in his music videos, and given how Fuji musicians often follow the path of polygamy, one would think he should have at least 10 wives. But not Obesere.
3. He is an all-time star.
Obesere rose to stardom nearly 20 years ago. He wasn’t a one hit wonder; he produced hits and maintained his spot in the hall of fame for years. Years after, his song has made a comeback and he has now become a favourite with millenials, a feat that most Fuji musicians may not be able to achieve.
4. NAIRA MARLEY SAMPLED OBESERE. Putting that in caps so you can know that Obesere walked so Naira Marley could run.
Other videos to prove this are in the thread.
5. Even Saint Janet cannot deny Obesere’s influence to her music career.
Because he was there first, did it first.
6. Cross dressing and making a point with it? Obesere ate that up.
Obesere has covered lengths and breadths in his career and we stan a king that accomplishes all.
7. And we must not forget the evergreen Egungun Be Careful jam.
A versatile video that can work in any msunery situation you’re experiencing. It’s so good it even invades your thoughts in random moments.
We are the floor, Obesere can step on us anyhow and anytime.