1. Nojim Maiyegun, the boxer who was Nigeria’s 1st medalist at the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo.
2. Victor Ikpeba posing with his coach, Arsene Wenger, when he played for AS Monaco in 1993.
3. Sir Adesoji Aderemi, when he became the first Nigerian and African to be appointed Governor in the Commonwealth in July 1960.
4. Olabisi Ajala who was famous in the 50’s for travelling around the world on a scooter, got his nickname ‘Ajala Travel’ after Ebenezer Obey made a song about him in the 60s.
5. Legendary NBA basketballer, Hakeem Olajuwon, throwing this iconic shot at the NBA finals in 1994.
6. This picture of the first Nigerian football team to ever leave West Africa was taken in 1949. They were coached by John Jack Finch.
7. The first black pilot in aviation history, Izmirli Aliogu Ahmed, had a Nigerian grandmother from Bornu. This picture was taken during the 1st world war in 1916.
8. Latunde Odeku, the first black man to be trained as a Neurosurgeon in the U.S.
9. Bolaji Badejo, the 7 ft Nigerian design student and one-time actor was featured in 1978 classic, ‘Alien’.
10. Fela and Lou Reed at an Amnesty Benefit Concert that was held at the Giants Stadium, New Jersey in 1986.
11. Orlando Martins, one of England’s best actors in 1947, was the first Nigerian Hollywood actor.
12. Edna Park, the 1st Nigerian beauty queen to represent Nigeria at the Miss Universe contest collapsed on stage when she didn’t make the top 15 finalists in 1964.
You'll Like This
Rare pictures of Nigeria back in the days.
We can relate to his comments, he is one of us.
How Jollof went from local experiment to global icon.
Variety, they say, is the spice of life.
Nothing wrong with a little upgrade, right?
You know the cons. You might as well know the pros.
For the shy ones among us who need a little help.
Having a 9 to 5 isn’t easy.
You thought it was all about your salary, didn’t you?
wherever you are
Zikoko amplifies African youth culture by curating
and creating smart and joyful content for young
Africans and the world.