Long before rechargeable lamps and cell phones with inbuilt torch features became the norm, all we had were kerosene lamps.
And they were a fucking nightmare to use.
1) Removing the globe in order to clean it but breaking it by mistake.
And you knew you were officially in for a super saiyan ultimate ass-whooping from your mother.
2) The struggle of refilling it with kerosene but having the kerosene pour everywhere because of the tiny mouth.
Wasting kerosene?? Better start digging your grave.
3) The frustrating task of changing the wick (thread).
*slits throat in frustration*
4) When the wick adjustment knob becomes faulty, stopping you from being able to increase or decrease the flame.
Good luck seeing anything with that low ass flame.
5) Mistakenly burning your hand because you tried to lift it with the handle but the handle had been absorbing heat directly over the lamp for a long time.
“BLOOD OF JESUS!!!” – You, after the lantern gives you a sneak preview of how hot it is in hell.
6) Cleaning the top (ventilation cap) after soot has gathered there for a long time.
No difference between doing this and working in a mine.
What’s up, Zikoko Fam? It would mean the world to us if you spared a few minutes to fill this Reader Survey. It’s so we can bring you the content you really want!