I spoke to a couple of men about some of the misconceptions about men that need to be demystified.
Here’s what they had to say:
1) “I don’t know who told these women that we enjoy wickedness or mind games; we don’t. At least, I don’t. And I know like five other guys who don’t.”
2) “I am not a mind reader, neither do I like to guess. Many women seem to think that we enjoy hints. No, pls be direct. I don’t like stress.”
3) “I tell my babe that I love attention and being gassed as much as she does. Why am I sending her photos and she’s telling me ‘you look nice.’ Spin me and tell me you can’t live without me. We love the attention as much they do. Who no like better thing?”
4) “The one I hate is that all men cheat. It’s so somehow. People cheat; both men and women. One gender just has better PR.”
5) “Another narrative is that we are emotionless. It’s difficult to express how you feel when you’ve been raised to not show pain or discomfort. That we’re not showing it doesn’t mean we aren’t feeling it. I and my close boys have taken turns crying on each other by 2 am when everyone was asleep. Sometimes, it’s not just the right situation to show emotions because of society.”
6) “Let it be known that not all erection is as a result of konji. Sometimes, it’s cold, sometimes my penis just has a mind of its own.”
7) “On some social issues that I genuinely want to learn more about, I don’t like the way I get shut down with labels or tags. I dislike the word mansplaining because sometimes I genuinely don’t know. And the people that say ‘read a book’ don’t appreciate that growth isn’t linear.
It’s like the blind men and the elephant where everyone was describing the part they touched. It was an elephant alright, but they all had different descriptions. Truth is perspective sha. last last.”
Image source: FWRD