Starting a new job is pretty exciting, but the first day on the new job can be a royal pain in the ass. If you’ve lived through a rough first day at a ned job, odds are that you will relate to this.
1) You, thinking if accepting the new job was a good idea
You’re excited about the new job and all its promises. But you’re also leaving a job, and the uncertainty can be really overwhelming. All the time, you’re thinking “Do I really need to earn more money?”
2) How you try to avoid everybody on your first day
Everyone tries to be nice to you. However, all you want to do is to be as invisible as much as you can, so you try to avoid all forms of eye contact and just bury yourself in the work, while occasionally roaming your eyes around the office to see if anyone is watching you.
3) When you realise that the toilet might be your new favourite spot
You make this realisation after you’ve visited the toilet about 15 times, and it’s not even noon yet. Besides, you don’t even need to use the toilet, you just need a break from the new co-workers you’re convinced hates you, even though you haven’t spent a full day with them.
4) You, trying to calm yourself when someone takes you around to introduce you to your new co-workers
Suddenly, your voice feels small, and you can’t remember your full name.
5) And you overthink everything you say or do
For most parts of the day, you’re all “I’m so stupid, why did I say that?”
6) You, wondering if you will be a good fit for the culture
All your best attempt to act natural comes off as clumsy and awkward, you begin to wonder if the job is right for you after all.