There are two major types of social science students; the ones studying political science and the ones not studying political science. It’s really that simple. If you belong to the first class then this list will be a fond blast to your past university days. Here are 7 things only Nigerian political science students.
1. All the different definitions of political science they have to cram.
12 definitions from foreign political scientists, 7 from past Nigerian political and 5 from lecturers in the department. And 3 more from good old Wikipedia. All of which you will be required to produce verbatim in the exam hall.
2. Exam questions that start with compare and contrast.
Political science exam questions always hit differently. You’ll see opening statements like “examine, enunciate” and other orishirishi English that basically means you are not leaving that exam hall anytime soon.
3. Spending 4 years to learn about different types, systems, and flavors of government but seeing none of them being practiced in Nigeria.
Which makes the entire B.Sc seem fictional.
4. People saying “so you want to be a politician and eat our money”.
Because campaign money and the right God fathers will just fall on me abi? Allow me graduate with my set first abeg.
5. Lecturers who identify as Marxians.
You’ll now be hearing sentences starting like “As a Marxian…”, “You know you Marxians always…”, and so on and so on. Bless Karl Marx where ever he may be though.
6. Lecturers collaborating to write books and make the compulsory.
We be knowing.
7. Constant interdepartmental politics and lobbying playing.
Because politics starts at home.
That’s 7 things Nigerian political science students can relate with. Before you start a protest, we already have a list for Engineering students, and one for Arts students, another one for Psychology students, and even one for Social science students. You’re welcome.
Are you currently studying in Nigeria or elsewhere and have a story to share about your life in school? Please take a minute to fill this form and we will reach out to you ASAP.