In the past couple of weeks we’ve seen the typically overhyped local and international collaborations finally done right, most notably from two of our juggernauts, Davido and Wizkid. This is not to say that we haven’t had collaborations that worked, we definitely have (and they all make up this list). But these stand out for the sheer compatibility of the artistes involved and the verses from the featured artistes which impressively never veered too far off the original theme of the songs.
Here are our favorite local and international music pairings, in no particular order:
1. Davido and Meek Mill’s Fans Mi.
2. Ayo Jay and Fetty Wap’s Your Number (Remix).
3. Don Jazzy, Reekado Banks, Di’ja, and Jay Electronica’s Get Down.
4. Wizkid, Drake, and Skepta’s Ojuelegba (Remix).
5. D’Banj and Snoop Dogg’s Mr. Endowed (Remix).
6. 2face and T-Pain’s My Rainbow (Remix).
7. PSquare, May D, and Akon’s Chop My Money (Remix).
8. Wizkid and Wale’s Drop.
9. Wizkid and Tyga’s Show You The Money (Remix).
10. Vector and Mavado’s Born Leader.
Now based off of their respective sounds, we’ve come up with some fantasy couplings that would work on so many levels:
Wiz Khalifa and Patoranking.
The most likely pairing on the list to top all the charts, and to actually happen. A track that would be impossible to hate.
Nicki Minaj and Burna Boy.
Two of the most effectively diverse artistes working on the list could go for a traditional club banger or something more sultry.
Kanye West and Asa.
Both stellar artistes working at the peak of their powers. This pairing would make for an instant classic. We can only hope, right?
J Cole and Bez.
These two new school talents would certainly bring out the best in each other. I can already imagine.
Nas and Mode 9.
Easily the most talented lyricists on this list would certainly make for something truly deep and insightful.
What would be your dream local and international collaboration? Please let us know in the comments section.